Beer Is My Life!
This is not the official homepage of
Stoddard's Brewhouse and Eatery
Last updated: September 8, 2000
111 South Murphy Avenue
Sunnyvale CA 94068
Phone: +1 408-733-7824
Fax: +1 408-733-8969
Opened March 22, 1993.
Brewer: Bob Stoddard, Michael Gray.
2,600 bbl annual capacity.
Bob Stoddard left the Tied House to start his own pub. The beers were Tied House clones for a while, but they've improved greatly since then, and Stoddard's is well worth a visit.
Directions: 101 to Mathilda Avenue South. Turn south on Evelyn. You'll see Stoddard's a couple of blocks along on the right. Or, take CalTrain to the Sunnyvale station. Stoddard's is right across the street to the west.
My Opinion Of The Beers That I've Tried:
13.5 points overall
Style 7 - English Bitter
- 15 points - Beer #16-1215, at the brewery, September 30, 1995
Red-brown hazy. Big head. Faint citrus-fruit aroma. Big hoppy flavor and bitterness! Good body, good bitter finish.
- 13.5 points - Beer #9-673, The HopYard, Pleasanton CA, December 28, 1994
Nice amber and big head. Very sparse carbonation. Good hop aroma with caramel malt behind it. Extreme caramel flavor and a good dose of diacetyl. Not at all clean. This score is generous.
- 13 points - Beer #7-415, HopFest '94, Pleasanton CA, August 13, 1994
Nice amber. Minimal carbonation. Good head. Some hop aroma, some caramel. Good balance, could be stronger. Good body. Flavors OK for an Amber Ale, not nearly strong enough for an ESB.
Style 18 - German-style Ale
- 15 points - Beer #16-1213, at the brewery, September 30, 1995
Golden, very low carbonation, good head. Malty nose and malty flavor. Very good hop balance. Bitter finish. Gold Medal, 1995 GABF.
- 14.5 points - Beer #11-776, The HopYard, Pleasanton CA, February 11, 1995
Good yellow, moderate carbonation, OK head. Fresh malt aroma, some fruitiness. Good body, bitter. Finishes clean.
- 10 points - Beer #1-12, at the brewery, April 24, 1993
Straw yellow, tiny bubbles. Too bitter. Sweet aftertaste lasts way too long.
Style 6 - American-style Pale Ale
- 14.5 points - Beer #16-1214, at the brewery, September 30, 1995
Golden-amber, moderate carbonation, good head. Fresh flowery hops. Malty, sweet. Fairly high carbonation bite. Sweet finish.
- 13 points - Beer #9-612, The HopYard, Pleasanton CA, November 26, 1994
Pale amber, good carbonation and head. Some caramel malt aroma, little else. Clean. A little too heavy to be light-bodied. Flavors are not very assertive. High carbonation.
- 14 points - Beer #1-13, at the brewery, April 24, 1993
Darker than Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. No aroma. Nice flavor and texture.
Style 9 - Porter
- 14.5 points - Beer #16-1216, at the brewery, September 30, 1995
Dark red-brown opaque. Good head. Coffee aroma. Coffee flavor, roasty, chocolatey. Acidic. Acidic finish detracts. Silver Medal, 1995 GABF.
- 10 points - Beer #1-14, at the brewery, April 24, 1993
Sweet. Sour. Tastes like a Tied House beer.
Go to the California Brewery List
This material © 1992-2000 by , who is solely responsible for the content. All logos, graphics, and trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Site hosted courtesy of The Real Beer Page. Read the disclaimer.