Beer Is My Life!
This is not the official homepage of
Los Gatos Brewing
Last updated: September 3, 2000
130-G North Santa Cruz Avenue
Los Gatos CA 95030
Phone: +1 408-395-9929
Fax: +1 408-395-2769
Opened October 5, 1992.
Brewer: Jeff Alexander.
1,500 bbl annual capacity.
A lager brewery even more upscale than Gordon Biersch. Good beers and food, but pricey.
Directions: Highway 17 to Los Gatos exit. Left at Santa Cruz Street. Los Gatos Brewing is actually on a side street, but you'll see their sign on your left a few blocks along.
My Opinion Of The Beers That I've Tried:
14.5 points overall
Classic Pale Ale
Style 6 - American-style Pale Ale
- 19 points - Beer #10-700, at the brewery, January 10, 1995
Great amber color. Fruity hop nose, very nice. Nice body, nice hops, nice finish. VERY cold. Tastes a lot like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
Style 12 - Bock
- 13 points - Beer #10-699, at the brewery, January 10, 1995
Very dark red. Vinous aroma, with alcohol. Bitter. Black malts dominate. Served WAY too cold.
Style 13 - German Dark Lager
- 13.5 points - Beer #9-610, at the brewery, November 25, 1994
Brown red opaque. No head. Vaguely brown aroma. Not assertive. Good carbonation bite. Caramel flavor, some coffee. Sweet. I'd prefer it drier and more bitter.
- 16 points - Beer #1-26, 1993 Pacific Coast Tasting of Spring Beers, Oakland CA, May 16, 1993
Black. Aroma like a good Porter. A little thin, but when you account for the fact it's a lager, it's not bad at all. Dark malts come through well. Maybe underhopped. Very good beer.
Style 14 - German Light Lager
- 13.5 points - Beer #9-609, at the brewery, November 25, 1994
Pale yellow. Lots of carbonation. Sulfur aroma. Light. Pretty clean. Some DMS? Sweet. Very sweet.
Style 17 - Vienna / Märzen / Oktoberfest
- 13.5 points - Beer #9-608, at the brewery, November 25, 1994
Bank...closed. San Jose Ice Center...closed. Time for a beer this rainy Friday afternoon! Pale amber. Malty nose, some caramel. Fizzy. Malty, but there's a big bitter bite too. Long, almost metallic finish.
- 16 points - Beer #6-337, 1994 Berkeley Beer Festival, Berkeley CA, May 22, 1994
Brown-amber. Very brown aroma, with some alcohol. Tasty. Alcoholic with dunkel flavor.
- 11 points - Beer #4-223, 1993 Oregon Brewers Festival, Portland OR, July 31, 1993
Orange color. Carbonated. Chocolate and...sulfur aroma. Thick and sweet. Sort of bitter, but not much. Sweet but not malty.
Go to the California Brewery List
This material © 1992-2000 by , who is solely responsible for the content. All logos, graphics, and trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Site hosted courtesy of The Real Beer Page. Read the disclaimer.