Beer Is My Life!
This is not the official homepage of
Golden Pacific Brewing
Last updated: June 2, 1998
1404 Fourth Street
Berkeley CA 94710
Phone: +1 510-558-1919
Brewer: Alec Moss.
24,000 bbl annual capacity.
Golden Pacific brews its own brands and also produces a few for beer marketing companies like Lake Tahoe. OK drinkable beers. They moved from Emeryville to Berkeley in early 1997.
My Opinion Of The Beers That I've Tried:
14.0 points overall
Style 6 - American-style Pale Ale
- 14.5 points - Beer #2-145, Pacific Coast Brewing, Oakland CA, July 23, 1993
Very dark red. Thick fine head. Not much aroma! Smooth, sweet, bitter. Sweet.
Style 9 - Porter
- 13 points - Beer #1-51, Pacific Coast Brewing, Oakland CA, May 9, 1993
Good Porter color. Roast malt aroma, but faint...no hops. Nice light "porter" flavor. ("Porter"...I'm sure using that word a lot.) OK beer. Fair Porter.
Golden Bear Lager (bottled)
Style 16 - American Lager
- 15 points - Beer #27-2235, Willow Glen Liquors, San Jose CA, September 11, 1997
Deep golden, lots of carbonation, good head. Fresh malty aroma. Good body, lots of hop flavor and bitterness giving way to a sweet finish.
Golden Bear Lager
Style 14 - German Light Lager
- 17 points - Beer #9-687, The HopYard, Pleasanton CA, January 4, 1995
Pale, crystal. Head OK, carbonation sparse. Nice malt nose. Malty, very clean. Hops subdued, but still in balance. Very slightly astringent.
- 10.5 points - Beer #7-412, HopFest '94, Pleasanton CA, August 13, 1994
Golden, transparent, good carbonation, weak head. Grainy-musty aroma. Good body, musty taste...possibly Tettnangs.
- 15.5 points - Beer #2-120, Lyon's Brewery, Dublin CA, July 3, 1993
Good yellow, as opposed to pale yellow. Plasticky aroma? Odd...doesn't fit with the beer's other characteristics. Might be my nose. Fruity-ish flavor. Not that that's a bad thing...it's just the hops. Good body and flavor, and I expect a good belch as well. Good fresh beer, suitable for voluminous quaffing.
Golden Gate Copper Ale (bottled)
Style 4 - Mild / Brown Ale
- 16 points - Beer #27-2244, Willow Glen Liquors, San Jose CA, September 12, 1997
Amber, moderate carbonation, good head. Brown, sweet aroma, a little spicy. Sweet, lots of brown malty flavor, some bitterness near the end.
Golden Gate Original Ale
Style 4 - Mild / Brown Ale
- 14 points - Beer #15-1122, The HopYard, Pleasanton CA, August 1, 1995
Red-brown, good carbonation and head. Caramel malt aroma. Caramel, well-balanced with hops. Fairly clean finish. Gold Medal, 1995 GABF.
Style 23 - Specialty Beer
- 12.5 points - Beer #9-621, Pacific Coast Brewing, Oakland CA, November 27, 1994
Enormous big head. Nice amber, pretty coarse carbonation. Nutty aroma...almonds. Some diacetyl. Toasted almonds/peanut flavor. Good body and maltiness, but I think the nut character detracts.
- 14 points - Beer #30-2493, 1992 Pacific Coast Tasting of Christmas Beers IV, Oakland CA, December 12, 1992
Good head, color. Minimal odor. Quite hoppy for style. Good mouthfeel - smooth all over. Pleasant bitter finish. Good beer, but overhopped. (Billed as a "Brown Ale".)
Go to the California Brewery List
This material © 1992-2000 by , who is solely responsible for the content. All logos, graphics, and trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Site hosted courtesy of The Real Beer Page. Read the disclaimer.