This American Pilsner recipe is a refreshing and crisp beer that is perfect for warm summer days. With a balanced maltiness and hoppy aroma, this golden beer is easy to drink and perfect for sharing with friends.
- 1 Mash tun
- 1 Brew kettle
- 1 Heat source (propane burner or electric element)
- 1 Fermentation vessel (carboy, plastic bucket, or conical fermenter)
- 1 Airlock and stopper
- 1 Wort chiller (immersion or counterflow)
- 1 Hydrometer
- 1 Thermometer
- 1 Brewing spoon or paddle
- 1 Auto-siphon or tubing
- 1 Bottling bucket or kegging system
- 1 Bottles or keg
- 1 Sanitizer solution
- 1 Cleaning supplies (brushes, sponges, and detergents)
For the Mash – Liquor 12Litres (21Pints) – Mash Time 1 hr – Temperature 65°C (149°F)
- 7 lb Lager malt Quantity 3.5 kg
- 2 lb Flaked maize Quantity1.3 kg
For the Boil – 27 Litres (47 1/2 Pints) – Boil Time 1 hr – 15 mins
- 2/3 oz (Hops) Cluster 7.5% When to add – At start of boil (IBU 16.9)
- 1/2 oz (Hops) Liberty 4.5% When to add – For last 10 mins of boil (IBU 2.7 )
- 1/2 oz (Hops) Crystal 3.5% When to add – For last 10 mins of boil (IBU 2.1)
- 1/3 oz (Hops) Liberty 4.5% When to add – For last 5 mins of boil (IBU 1.0)
- 1/3 oz (Hops) Crystal 3.5% When to add – For last 5 mins of boil (IBU 0.8)
- 1 oz (Hops) Liberty 4.5% When to add – At turn off (IBU 0.0)
- 1 oz (Hops) Crystal 3.5% When to add – At turn off (IBU 0.0)
- 1 tsp Protofloc Other – When to add – For last 15 mins of boil
To Ferment – 12°C (54°F) – Conditioning 4 weeks at 3°C (37°F)
- 1 Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast
- Start by heating 12 liters (21 pints) of water in a large pot or kettle to a temperature of 65°C (149°F). Add the 7 lb of Lager malt and 2 lb of flaked maize to the water and stir well to combine. Let the mixture sit for 1 hour to mash.
- After 1 hour, heat 27 liters (47.5 pints) of water in another pot or kettle until it boils. When the water reaches boiling point, add 2/3 oz of Cluster hops and let it boil for the full hour.
- After 45 minutes of boiling, add 1/2 oz of Liberty hops and 1/2 oz of Crystal hops to the pot. Let them boil for the remaining 10 minutes.
- When there are only 5 minutes left, add 1/3 oz of Liberty hops and 1/3 oz of Crystal hops to the pot.
- At the end of the boiling time, turn off the heat and add 1 oz of Liberty hops and 1 oz of Crystal hops to the pot. Then add 1 tsp of Protofloc and stir well.
- Once the boiling is finished, cool the wort down to 12°C (54°F) and transfer it to a fermentation vessel. Add the Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast to the vessel and seal it with an airlock.
- Ferment the beer for 28 days at 12°C (54°F). After fermentation, transfer the beer to a secondary vessel for conditioning and keep it at 3°C (37°F) for 4 weeks.
- Once the beer has conditioned, bottle or keg it and carbonate it to your desired level. Allow the carbonation to take place for a few days before serving the beer.
|Makes 🍻||Ready to Drink 🍺||Estimated ABV||Bitterness Rating||Color Rating|
|23 Litres (40 Pints)||5 Weeks||4.8%||30.6 IBU||6.4 EBC|
Refreshing and Balanced Flavor
This American Pilsner recipe offers a refreshing and crisp flavor that is perfectly balanced between maltiness and hoppy bitterness. The combination of lager malt and flaked maize produces a light and refreshing taste with just the right amount of sweetness. The addition of American hops during the boil provides a subtle hoppy aroma that complements the overall flavor of the beer.
Perfect for Warm Summer Days
With its refreshing and easy-to-drink flavor, this American Pilsner recipe is the perfect choice for warm summer days. Whether you’re enjoying a backyard barbecue with friends or relaxing on a lazy afternoon, this beer is sure to satisfy your thirst and provide a refreshing respite from the heat.
Easy to Brew at Home
This American Pilsner recipe is relatively easy to brew at home, making it an excellent choice for both novice and experienced homebrewers. With just a few basic brewing equipment and ingredients, you can brew a delicious batch of American Pilsner that will impress your friends and family.
If you’re looking for a refreshing and easy-to-drink beer that is perfect for warm summer days, this American Pilsner recipe is definitely worth a try. With its balanced flavor and easy brewing process, it’s sure to become a favorite in your homebrewing repertoire.
FAQ on Making this American Pilsner Recipe
What is the preparation time for this American Pilsner recipe?
The preparation time for this American Pilsner recipe is 1 hour for the mash, 1 hour and 15 minutes for the boil, and a total of 4 weeks for fermentation and conditioning.
What ingredients are needed to make this beer?
The required ingredients for this recipe include lager malt, flaked maize, American hops (Cluster, Liberty, and Crystal), Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast, and Protofloc.
How long does it take to ferment this beer?
The estimated ABV for this beer is 4.8% with a bitterness rating of 30.6 IBU and a color rating of 6.4 EBC.
What is the estimated alcohol by volume (ABV) for this beer?
Recommended serving temperature for this beer is between 2-7°C. The flavor of this American Pilsner would complement well with spicy foods and grilled meats.
What is the bitterness rating of this beer?
The beer can be stored for up